Monday, January 24, 2011

Gasmic consciousness, Part II

I while back we visited -gasm as a productive suffix. It's still going strong, as evidenced by some nice examples I've run across recently. For example, I found this in a comment about a political ad that featured a lot of (intended-to-be) stirring images of America:
The patriotgasm certainly seems Michael Bay-like.
This sent me searching, which yielded the following without much effort:
These came up, by the way, because they are either political sites (hence "patriot") or sports sites (hence "New England Patriots").

Update 20 March 2011: "Apple starts this frenzy or what I call an iGasm." (#)

Something of note here is that the meaning of -gasm as used in these examples seems to still primarily be "intense or unrestrained excitement", but that it seems also to have a negative connotation in almost all of these examples. It's used derogatorily to refer to people who have unrestrained enthusiasm for something the author is not enthusiastic about (guns, Obama, people's use of Twitter) -- a kind of after-the-fact "Don't have a cow" wish. That was not the case last time we visited -gasm. Perhaps it has to do with the narrow search I did. (?)

2 comments:

Zamboozee said...

Wikigasm! You herd it hear first - it'll go far! Mark my spellin' mistcakes!

Anonymous said...

Hello Mike,

I find your blog very interesting. It's great that you and your readers
are aware of proper grammar and spelling. I have an offer for you
concerning the review of our spell check widget
http://www.spellchecker.net/widget. I'd love to hear your opinion on this
widget. Any comments (good or bad) are highly appreciated. Please feel
free to contact me if there are any question,
Best regards,

Mary.